American Civil Liberties Union of Florida
Mid-Florida Regional Office
Regional Organizer (Spanish language fluency required)
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida (ACLU of Florida) seeks a Regional Organizer who is fluent in Spanish (reading, writing and speaking) to lead a project to advance support for LGBT rights and to coordinate the ACLU’s outreach efforts on a variety of civil liberties issues in Hispanic/Latino communities throughout the central part of Florida.
The position will be based in the ACLU of Florida’s Mid-Florida Regional Office in Tampa. This is a temporary, grant funded position, which will end March 31, 2016.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is freedom’s watchdog, working daily in the courts, legislatures and communities to defend individual rights and personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
The ACLU’s Mid-Florida Regional Office is responsible for organizing civil liberties activities across the middle part of the Florida, from Tampa Bay to Orlando.
The Regional Organizer will report to the Director of Advocacy and will have primary responsibility for leading the Dignidad y Trabajo campaign, which is designed to increase awareness and encourage action on LGBT rights in Hispanic/Latino communities.
The Regional Organizer will:
• Design and implement grassroots strategies to inform and engage Hispanic/Latino communities about the need for civil rights protections for LGBT individuals in the workplace, focusing on Hillsborough and Orange counties;
• Design and implement a program to encourage more inclusive public policies in Hillsborough County and capitalize on existing momentum for LGBT rights in Orange County. Working closely with the ACLU of Florida Communications Department, use carefully crafted messaging and messengers in a campaign that will increase awareness in Hispanic/Latino communities about the discrimination that occurs in employment and housing, and engage local communities in the statewide movement to advance LGBT equal treatment;
• Organize regional events and activities to engage Hispanic/Latino communities to take meaningful action on the ACLU’s state and national priorities, including but not limited to
immigrants’ rights, voting rights, criminal justice reform, racial justice, women’s rights, and LGBT rights;
• Work with the ACLU Communications Department to develop regional outreach/organizing materials in Spanish, such as fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, sample letters, etc.;
• Identify and engage potential allies and establish partnerships with local allied organizations, especially reaching out to Hispanic/Latino communities and other diverse organizations and individuals;
• Build upon existing relationships and create new alliances to strengthen ACLU of Florida’s visibility and mobilization efforts in Spanish, and
• Work with the Advocacy Director to represent the ACLU of Florida in Hispanic/Latino communities in the Mid-Florida region.
• a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
• Fluency in English and Spanish (reading, writing and speaking);
• a minimum of one year experience with organizing and grassroots mobilization;
• a familiarity with issues that affect LGBT Floridians;
• a demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights and the mission of the ACLU;
• excellent communication skills in English and Spanish, both written and oral;
• an ability to keep organized in a fast-paced environment and to manage several projects simultaneously;
• strong computer skills, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher);
• familiarity with social media networking;
• experience in supervising and motivating volunteers;
• experience working cooperatively with diverse groups and organizations;
• ability to build vision, to stimulate, and inspire others, and
• ability to attend evening and weekend meetings, and to travel throughout the mid-Florida region.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be set depending upon experience. The ACLU provides excellent benefits including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Plan.
Application Process: Please send cover letter and resume by email to [email protected]
All inquiries should include “Organizer Applicant” in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or pdf format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbians, gay men and transgendered individual
Por favor difundir esta información con aquellas personas que puedan estar interesadas.
Communications Officer | Oficial de Comunicaciones
American Civil Liberties Union of Florida | Unión Americana de Libertades Civiles de la Florida
Because Freedom Can’t Protect Itself | Porque la Libertad no se puede proteger a sí misma
4500 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 340, Miami, FL 33137
Direct 786.363.2717| Fax 786.363.4845 | [email protected]